A hypnotic journey of love, obsession and surrender.
A Dybbuk in Hebrew means “glue”, “attachment” or “clinging”. It is a spirit that possesses a human being.
This performance is an adaptation of S. Ansky’s 19th century folk legend, “The Dybbuk.” A woman is given as a bride by her father to an older wealthy business man “an arranged marriage”, however she is in love with her young true love who dies suddenly of a broken heart when he receives this news. On her wedding day, his spirit enters her body to reclaim her. She is empowered by his love to voice her truth and say ‘no’ to family and society’s traditions. This dance opera expresses the themes, emotions and the struggle between the earthly plane and the various spirit realms of the story.
This production illustrates the importance of transcending our belief systems and revealing what is left beyond the body and beyond our thoughts. Incorporating interactive media projection, contemporary dance fused with the technical grace of ballet, and opera in an immensely theatrical presentation
- ARTISTIC DIRECTOR | MAYA LEWANDOWSKY
- EXECUTIVE PRODUCER | EVANGELOS DIAVOLITSIS
- ARTISTIC PRODUCER | JENNIE VALLIS
- COMPOSER | STEVEN GELLMAN
- PERFORMERS | MAYA LEWANDOWSKY, NICOLE CHARLTON, MEGAN GOLE, ERIN LEQUEREUX, ERIN O’LOUGHLIN, ELAN PRATT
- PIANO | STEVEN GELLMAN
- CELLO | DOROTHY BISHOP
- HARP | EILY AURORA
- VIOLIN | HEIDI PITTMAN
- XYLOPHONE | KELLY SCHULER
- COSTUME DESIGNER | ANNI KUHN
- SOUND DESIGN | MARC SACKMAN
- PROJECTION DESIGN | JENNIE VALLIS, DEREK DEMASSI
- LIGHTING DESIGN | KALYNA CONRAD
- STAGE MANAGER | ANDREW BATHORY